Avocados are my new miracle food
I’ll start at the beginning. I’ve been a personal trainer since 2008 but from October 2014 to March 2016 I worked for a company called ACE who were subcontracted by the NHS to provide many services, mine was cardiac rehabilitation.
As with any NHS service, I had a lot of administration time around seeing our patients and exercising them. Therefore, even though I was still teaching aerobics and spinning each week I was nowhere near as active as I was when I worked in the gym every day.
What caused the pain
Anyway between ACE and self-employment I worked as the fitness manager for Lifehouse Spa and Hotel in Thorpe, Essex. At the start while staffing was difficult I took over teaching a lot more classes, I’m talking a couple of hours a day 5-6 days a week. The drastic change in my activity levels meant the arches of my feet started to suffer. They were already tender from years of abuse but this was like nothing I had ever experienced and for about 9 months I had excruciating pain every time I stood up after sitting for long periods. Getting out of bed was the WORST. I tried stretching my calves and achilles tendons as well as foam rolling, all of which only alleviated the pain temporarily.
I spoke to the physiotherapist at Lifehouse who recommended arch inserts and more supportive trainers which I did and it helped to an extent during the day but I was still walking on my heels every time I got out of bed as I couldn’t bear the pain of heel to toe.
The moment I realised
My birthday came around and my parents very kindly bought me a Nutribullet. So, as one does, I went out and bought lovely ingredients for it. Avocados being one. For about 6 days in a row I consumed half to one avocado a day, be it in a Nutribullet drink or on my toast.
On the sixth day, my partner who is also a sports massage therapist, worked into one of my arches for about 10 minutes. The following morning I braced myself to get out of bed, got up and NOTHING. No pain. Gone!!! I said to him he was a magician because my feet felt amazing and he pointed out that he had only worked on one.
This got me thinking, why…after 9 months of pain every single day have I now got not pain what-so-ever then? and it hit me. The only thing I had done differently was the nutribullet drinks.
So, one by one I stopped an ingredient from my Nutribullet mix for a few days and lo and behold after just 3 days of no avocado the pain CAME BACK!
Some facts about avocados I already knew
- Avocados were a great source of monounsaturated fat.
- They contain more potassium than bananas.
- They make a great cholesterol-lowering alternative to butter.
Some facts about avocados I didn’t know:
- Some medication is made with avocado extract.
- They aid the absorption of other nutrients
- Taking ASU’s (Avocado Soybean Unsaponifiables) can reduce the need to take NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) medication for those with arthritis
I now recommend avocados to everyone with aches and pains caused by inflammation. Unless they are on Warfarin or any other medication that is effected by the consumption of this magical fruit.
What I make with avocados:
- Guacamole! I literally mash garlic and an avocado and use it to put inside chicken fajitas or dip carrots in.
- Mashed avocado on toast with eggs and smoked salmon most mornings. I cannot get enough of it! Sometimes I miss out the eggs.
- In my Nutribullet I add spinach, an apple, an avocado, pineapple and water which makes a sweet and creamy drink to share between two.
- Chocolate avocado dessert! Blend avocado, cacao or cocoa powder, honey or maple syrup and coconut milk to your desired flavour and consistency and pop in the fridge or even freeze it. Delish!
- It’s beautiful in a chicken or bacon sandwich