Fakeaway…Saves money and MUST be better for you than the real thing right?
This fakeaway recipe is awesome because you can make it relatively clean if you want to. You can also use microwave rice pouches for convenience or boil/steam rice the old fashioned way. It’s another great way to disguise vegetables too!
The rules are, there are no rules. I don’t really measure anything because it completely depends on what ingredients I have as to what goes in!
My usual suspects:
- Sweet corn
- Onion or leek
- Bamboo Shoots
- Water Chestnuts
- Nuts, normally cashews
- Some other sort of meat
- Chilli or chilli flakes
- Long stem broccoli
- Peanut butter
- Soy sauce
Some days I simply don’t fancy eating meat, so I will make it with just vegetables and nuts mixed in with the eggs and rice. The possibilities really are endless.
I love to make a plain rice, egg, onion and pea version as an accompaniment to my fakeaway chicken satay. However, the bowlful in the featured picture went as followed:
- 3 carrots cubed (boiled until almost cooked)
- Handful of green beans, cut into thirds (boiled until almost cooked in the same pan as the carrots)
- 1/2 tsp lazy chilli flakes
- Handful of cashew nuts
- Tbsp coconut oil
- Brown long grain rice
- Cupped handful frozen sweetcorn
- Cupped handful frozen peas
- 3 eggs, whisked
- Generous splash of soy sauce
- Fry the chilli flakes and cashew nuts in the coconut oil until cashews have browned slightly
- Add the rice, vegetables and soy sauce and stir to warm through
- Pour the eggs over the rice mix and let it all heat up before stirring intermittently to make sure you get texture from the eggs if you want it
- Serve. With sauce of your choice on top if you wish!
This fakeaway egg fried rice feeds many and is fantastic for meal prep because you can cook up a huge amount and split it into Tupperware for the days ahead, providing you store the rice carefully. You can also easily make a single portion if you’re watching your macros! It’s great hot and cold so perfect for work or the beach.
Winner winner – fakeaway dinner! What fakeaways have you tried and tested?